By Paul Levine
Yes, I know it's Thursday, Jim Born's day.
However, Agent Born is on special assignment. At a Florida beauty pageant, someone doused Miss Lake Okeechobee with Gator poop. Jim is on the case.
Cornelia's post yesterday got me thinking more about names. Football names.
1. Shouldn't Colt McCoy (Texas) and Colt Brennan (Hawaii) be running backs and not quarterbacks?
2. Doesn't Mizzou QB Chase Daniel have the perfect name for a bartender?
3. Is there a better name for a defensive lineman than my Penn State classmate Steve Smear? As for fullbacks, how about Seattle's just retired Mack Strong. Strong's WR teammate Taco Wallace gets an honorable mention after being flattened by a tackle. As for QB's, attention must be paid to Jeff Smoker, formerly of Michigan State and the St. Louis Cardinals.
4. Trivia note. Steve Smear played Defensive Tackle. Who was the DT who played alongside him at Penn State? Clue. As far as I know, he's the only player to both become an NFL All-Pro and win a Grammy Award.
5. Does Bronko Nagurski win "best name ever" award, or is he disqualified because his real name was "Bronislau?" Either way, does he get a special award for his ring size of 19 1/2? BRONKO NAGURSKI DEMONSTRATES PROPER HAND POSITION FOR PLAYING THE CLARINET IN THE MINNESOTA BAND
6. Is there a better coach's name than Houston Nutt? Yes, Tommy Tuberville. [No, Cornelia, not Tommy Tunes. Different ball game]. Houston would win this competition if he coached, say..."Houston." Mr. Nutt, however, recently replaced Ed Orgeron at Mississippi. Sadly, Mr. Orgeron will not be taking over at Oregon.
7. Do you have any favorite players' names?
LATEST WGA STRIKE NEWS: GUILD ON LOOKOUT FOR STRIKE-BREAKING WRITERS!
ACTORS PROVE SPEECHLESS WITHOUT WRITERS!
JOHN EDWARDS MARCHES WITH WGA STRIKERS. HILLARY CLINTON WILL ANNOUNCE HER (A) UNEQUIVOCAL SUPPORT; (B) SO-SO SUPPORT; (C) OUTRIGHT REJECTION; OR (D) BRAND NEW PANEL HEADED BY HOUSTON NUTT TO STUDY THE ISSUE...FOLLOWING ANALYSIS OF POLLING DATA.
Come back, Jim Born...